Are the daily distractions of your work life causing you to edge God out (EGO)? Although there are many sources of distractions that Satan uses to separate us from God and the promises of God, we believe that work, which God gave man from the beginning of time (Adam was instructed to care for the garden of Eden), is being used by Satan to distract Christians in ways that keep them out of the will of God for their lives. In the workplace where believers are faced with an ever increasing volume of emails, conference calls, project deadlines, meetings, reports, and presentations, there is a higher propensity to neglect and ignore the necessity of getting the daily spiritual nourishment that they as spirit beings, need to stay fit for the Lord’s use and for the daily battle against the lies of the devil.
Satan would have us believe that there are not enough hours in the day to do daily Bible study or have quiet time with the Lord and he certainly doesn’t want us to seek God on the minutia of our many job tasks and assignments. Being still before the Lord is never a waste of time. For believers, beginning our day in prayer and spending time reading God’s Word should not be optional. We must remember that God is our only Source. He gives us breath of life, a sound mind, and good health. He is our sustenance, and according to Romans 8:28 the One who can make all things work together for good to them that love Him and are called according to His purpose.
How do we combat the EGO syndrome? Make a commitment to the Lord to:
- BELIEVE! Rely, lean on, and trust in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. (Proverbs 3:5-6, Hebrews 11:1, 6).
- Renew your mind daily by spending quality time in the morning each day reading and studying God’s Word (Romans 12:1-2).
- Pray without ceasing and in everything give thanks to God (1 Thessalonians 5:17-18).
- Put God FIRST and with your whole heart seek Him in all that you do (Matthew 6:33).
- Access God’s grace (unmerited favor, might and power) through faith (John 1:16, 2 Co 12:8-10).
- Live by faith and be pleasing to God (Hebrews 11:6; 1 Peter 1:13-16, Romans 1:17).
- Refuse to walk in fear, doubt, and unbelief about the promises of God (Isaiah 41:10, Matthew 14:28-31, 2 Timothy 1:7).
- Allow the Holy Spirit to guide you and to minister to your spirit by reading God’s Word (John 14:26, Romans 8:5-8).
- Put on God’s armor (the Word of God) and fight the good fight of faith (Ephesians 6:10-17, James 1:2-5).
- Be open to correction and discipline from other believers who are living by faith (2 Timothy 3:16-17, Hebrews 12:6-7).
- Walk in humility. A humble man is one who aligns his thinking and behavior with the Word of God (Psalm 25:9, Proverbs 16:17-19).
The challenges of work life balance and the need to put God FIRST is not a new one. We pray that the Holy Spirit speaks to you through this teaching. We challenge and encourage each of you to put God FIRST and dedicate time daily to spend in God’s Word and in prayer. God will help you manage your time more effectively and help you to attain “sweat-less victory” as you begin to honor and seek Him first. Don’t put God on hold any longer. Commit to “Doing Business God’s Way” today!